Central heating not working? prevent it this winter with our essential winter check-list!
The freezing, cold and snow often give us plumbing problems like pipes bursting, which can be expensive to repair or cause permanent damage in your home. These can be easily avoided though with our handy guide below!
From frozen pipes to cold showers, this is not something you want when it is winter.
Just remember if water runs through it then freezing weather can potentially cause damage to your home, or mean you will be having a very cold shower (not nice). With summer being officially over, now is a good time to do those checks.
Before it happens!
Avoid any plumbing issues this winter by following our easy as pie maintenance tips.
Do you all know where the stop tap is?
Have it labelled and make sure everyone knows where it is and how to turn the main water supply off.
Leave the heating on Low.
• Leave your heating on using a low setting. This is very important of your going on holiday, or if your house will be empty for any length of time.
• If you live in a flat it’s sensible to leave the heating on low in rooms where the main supply goes to neighbouring flats; if in doubt check with your landlord. You are after all saving them time and money, they should be happy to help.
Are you going to be away from home?
• If you’re going to be away for a long time turn off your water supply and drain the system. Contact your local plumber who will be able to advise you here.
• If your neighbours don’t have a key for your home make sure they have contact details for someone who does in case of an emergency.
Check the water tank
• Your water tank should be fitted with an insulation jacket or alternatively the top and sides of the tank can be wrapped with suitable insulation material.
• Don’t place loft insulation under the tank as this stops heat from the rooms below helping to keep the tank warm.
• If you have toilet cisterns, water tanks or pipes in exposed places or unheated outbuildings make sure you insulate them. Better still, if not in use, drain them for winter.
Drains and Gutters
We don’t want ice forming around any waterlogging caused by debris, clear out any leaves now, (it’s a horrible job when it’s icy!) and even worse to sort out if expanding ice causes your gutters or drains to break.
Leaky pipes or taps
• Dripping water increases the risk of freezing so have any leaks at taps or valves repaired as soon as you discover them.
Other useful resources
Remember to check here too for advice on fuel payments to keep you warm.
And stay safe outside your home with these tips;
Not sure? Give us a call, we are always happy to help.
121 Services are your friendly local plumbers in North London. We have over 25 years’ experience and are based in Finchley. serving NW3 and surrounding areas.